No, your candle is not ruined. Bring your melted candle inside and let it solidify. Soy wax has a lower melting point than paraffin (90°F), so if left in the sun, it will melt.
If your wooden wick candle won’t stay lit it is most likely because it has not been trimmed properly. A wooden wick needs to be trimmed ⅛ to ¼ inch each time. The charred portions on the top of the wooden wick should be removed. It is the wax that keeps the flame going, not the wick itself. If the wick is too tall, the wax will not be able to travel up to keep the flame going.
There really is no expiration date on candles, but it is recommended that they be used within a year of purchasing it. After some time, the candle will lose its scent, but will not be harmful if burned. Be sure to store your candles in a cool, dark place if saving for a later date.
Trimming your wick each time will help your candle burn cleaner and longer. When the wick is not trimmed, it accumulates carbon, making your candle smoke and burn unevenly. When this occurs, you will begin to see black soot accumulate on your jar. Your wick should be trimmed to ¼ inch to prevent this from happening.
This is called tunnelling. Tunnelling happens when the candle is extinguished before it has fully melted to the edges. It is important to burn your candle until the wax has melted all the way to the edges. It is especially important to do the first time you burn your candle, this is the memory burn. This usually takes about 1 hour per diameter. So, if you are burning our 4 oz, 6 oz tin, or 8 oz, it will take 2 ½ to 3 hours. Make sure you have enough time the first time you burn your candle.
We have tested the burn times of each size candle we carry and have come up with the below approximate times:
- 4 oz Jar ~ 15-20 hours
- 6 oz Tin ~ 25-30 hours
- 8 oz Jar ~ 35-40 hours
- 16 oz Jar ~ 70-75 hours
We recommend our blue pint jars or wax melts for large living spaces. You will get the optimal scent throw from these options. Our smaller containers are best suited for smaller spaces, such as a bathroom, bedroom or office.
We do not use 100% essential oil; however, the fragrance oils that we do use are infused with natural essential oils. Please note that I am not an expert on essential oils, but after extensive research, these were the reasons I chose not to use them in our candles:
- High heat evaporates essential oils quickly, leaving very little scent.
- Too expensive for the amount you need to make a candle.
- Some essential oils can become toxic when burned.
Our fragrance oils are purchased from a company that takes great pride in their quality and they perform several tests before releasing each scent. They continually update their fragrances to remove harmful ingredients, such as phthalates.
Soy wax is a vegetable wax made from the oil of a soybean. Soybeans get harvested and cleaned before processing. The soybean oil is then extracted from the cracked and dehulled soybean (the solids left from this process can be used as animal feed). The soybean oil then goes through the hydrogenation process creating saturated fats, making it solid at room temperature.
We chose to use 100% soy wax because we love the fact that it is a renewable resource, does not release toxic chemicals in the air when burned and it is sourced domestically. Also, soy wax burns at a lower temperature, so you will get a longer burn time than paraffin wax.
In order to be considered a disinfectant, the CDC requires the alcohol content to be at least 60%, and our sprays do not contain this amount of alcohol. Our sprays are made with witch hazel, distilled water and essential oils that contain antibacterial and antifungal properties. While they are great for cleaning, deodorizing and aromatherapy, I cannot claim they will completely kill all viruses and bacteria.